A number of IT admins have requested a mechanism to reset a device remotely via VNC, SSH, or some other remote access mechanism. With a few simple scripts, this task can be completed with ease.
- Reboot the device and press ESC immediately after your computer manufacturer's splash screen disappears (you should see a flashing cursor in the top left corner for a few seconds - press the escape key within 3 seconds to view the menu.)
- Select "Normal Boot" from the menu (but don't press enter) and press the "e" key on your keyboard
- Select the line in the box that begins with the word "initrd" and move the cursor to the end of the line.
- Backspace over the four letters "aufs" and replace them with "generic". Do not add any spaces. Then press "ctrl+x" on your keyboard to boot
- Download remote-reset.tar.gz
- Open a terminal (ctrl-alt-t) and type "sudo tar -xzvf Downloads/remote-reset.tar.gz -C /" (no quotes) to extract the files
Once installed, anyone remotely accessing the machine can initiate the reset process by opening a terminal (if using VNC or similar) and typing "remote-reset.sh"
Note that this tar file is will also work in your environment if you have setup an Auto Update Script. Follow steps 4-6 under "Copying an archive of files to an ubermix device" on the Auto Update Script page (adjusting appropriately for the tar file name/path) to set this up.